Monday, April 1, 2013

More Monday Ramblings...

What an eventful day! It's the first of the month... and I work at a bank. BUT here I am ready to spit out another post full of useful information (yeah right!).


Think Ava would be really mad if she came home and this was in the trash? I'm being good so far but I have a feeling that when I'm watching Teen Mom later tonight, I'm going to have a late night hankering for some sugar...


Meet Hummus.
Once upon a time I thought I hated hummus... turns out he's quite tasty when you eat him with carrots. Don't ask how I figured out he's a HE.


THIS, my friends, is a SPARK. 
It's a natural energy drink mix from Advocare. I just got the sample this evening so I'll let you know how I like it! I'm skipping my morning coffee tomorrow to try this so it could get serious.

ALSO, I got horrible news this evening. I was telling my friend {{Ashleigh}} about how I had found ground turkey at our local Save-A-Lot because it's seriously a RARE commodity around here. She informs me that ground turkey can be just as unhealthy and fattening for you as ground beef if you don't get the RIGHT stuff. 
WHAT?!
It never occurred to me that there were different kinds. (This just goes to show you what a newby I still am at this healthy stuff) So I come home and pull out the 3 packages of ground turkey that I had just paid $10+ for. CRAP. I got the bad stuff... 
10% fat. 9 grams of fat per tiny serving.
Lesson learned, I suppose =(
But just to be sure, I got online and Googled ground turkey.

I did not write this, I'm simply copying & pasting so please don't sue me for copyright stuff because I'm not sure how to properly cite my work - thank you Eastern Kentucky University =| (insert sarcastic thumbs up emoji!)


[[Myth: Ground turkey and chicken are always better for you than ground beef.  
The truth: Ground turkey and chicken can be made of any parts of the bird, including the higher-fat dark meat and skin, says Claire LeBrun, senior nutritionist at GW Medical Faculty Associates. Ground beef comes this way, too, but it's labeled with the percentage of fat. In fact, 95 percent lean or "extra lean" ground beef  is much lower in fat than most ground turkey. Lebrun says for the leanest meat, look for packages labeled "ground turkey breast."]]

Now I guess I know to pay more attention to my labels and not make assumptions like usual. 

On a brighter note... it's APRIL which means summer time is right around the corner! Look at this beautiful 7 day forecast!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I did NOT know this useful info about ground turkey! I also thought it was much healthier than ground beef. Thanks for the lesson. I will be reading labels from now when I am shopping. :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very helpful. Thanx for the info.

    ReplyDelete